flickr photo from sigusr0
A few days ago I made some strawberry muffins as comfort food for friends. My market had some amazing berries this week. So delicious, I want to make them again. Strawberries are heart-shaped, just the right color for the valentine season and a healthier alternative to cookies and cupcakes. (But still love those!) These would be perfect for Valentine's Day breakfast on Monday as the family runs out the door to work.
The trick to good muffins is stirring the batter just barely enough to get everything blended. Easy does it.
Strawberry Muffins (adjusted from a recipe found here)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chopped strawberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Prepare an 8 cup muffin tin, or use paper liners.
- In a small bowl, combine oil, milk, egg and vanilla. Beat lightly. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar. Toss in chopped strawberries and stir to coat with flour. Pour in milk mixture and stir together only to moisten. Don't over-mix.
- Fill muffin cups. Bake at 375 degrees F (190 degrees C) for 25 minutes, or until the tops bounce back from the touch. Cool 10 minutes and remove from pans.